View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 02:54 PM   #41
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States
Re: Funakogi Undo

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Taking that a step further, every single incarnation of modern aikido techniques is the same.
You know, perhaps almost every incarnation is as such, I couldn't know, but this just seems a little too broad a stroke to me. If high level jujutsu and wrestling "crumble" at the mere contact with aiki, I can't wait to see its emergence on the MMA scene, which as far as I know is dominated by high level jujutsu and wrestling and striking practicioners. That's not sarcasm, just to be clear. Operating in the "dabbler" spectrum of aikidoists, I'd love to see the proof of the pudding. I'm not really in the position to judge high quality aiki, even if it smacked me in the face, so I look to settings like that as a relative measure of things like "effectiveness under duress."
As it relates to funakogi undo (I know it as torifune undo), I think it's important to note that anyone will get what they put into it. Higher levels of aiki understanding will be able to get higher levels of aiki development through it...I assume. Perhaps for me it's merely a great way to open up the lungs and get the blood flowing, but that's enough for now and doesn't render my practice of it invalid as long as I recognize my own ignorance.

Gambarimashyo!