Thread: Ordered murder
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #30
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Ordered murder

After reading both threads again, it seems that Anthony is against killing at the direction of another. I don't have any problem with that for him and others who believe as he does. Where it seems to get cross-threaded in this conversation is Anthony's choice of the word murder as a synonym for killing. Murder is the unlawful killing of a human being by another. Some killings are lawful such as self-defense or the defense of others.

If the question is really intended to be "Should a soldier commit a murder because he was ordered to?" the answer is clearly no. That has been addressed time and again in places like Nuremberg and The Hague. Our own military has tried and punished American servicemen for the crime of murder in a combat situation.

If the question is "Should a soldier take a life because he was ordered to?" Assuming we are talking about the implied order of killing an enemy soldier on the field of battle, my answer is yes. If I felt as Anthony does, I would choose not to serve, or be willing to accept the consequences of my refusal.

Thankfully we have honorable men and women like Kevin who are willing to put themselves in harm's way on our behalf. I only wish that the purpose for asking them to do so would always be as honorable.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."