Old 01-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #17
ChrisHein

Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: bad technique vs. resistance

Quote:
Zach Trent wrote: View Post

-Snip-
Um...In Aikido...what is the difference between someone resisting energy and you doing a poor technique?

I worked with a guy doing Shihonage the other day and I could only move him slightly before I felt a lot of resistance----"I was like man my technique is not good"
-Snip-

the guy says "You want me to stop resisting? I find it helps me learn when people resist, but I can stop."
-Snip-

When I felt the resistance I noticed other techniques that were opening up...but it wasn't what the teacher showed so I just kept failing at Shihonage.

What do you guys think? Should your techniques work even when someone gets super rigid and muscled up?
Good questions. You need to understand the difference between form, and application in order to answer this question.

No one technique works 100% of the time. If there were such a technique we would only do that one, and no one would ever beat us in a fight. But there's not, so we practice several different techniques.

When doing a form, uke has to provide the proper context for that form. If it is a form where uke pushes you, he must push. If it's one where he pulls then he must pull. If uke isn't providing the right energy for the specific technique of the form, then that form won't work.

So if your uke doesn't know how to provide the right energy, you should simply ask him to relax, not resist, and do the form the teacher asked you to do.

But as you said, in application, if they resist your technique, a new situation will arise, one where you can use another technique. In application you will flow from one technique to the next, because you can't expect any one technique to always work.