View Single Post
Old 03-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #25
DH
United_States
Re: Internal Power in your Aikido

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote: View Post
what kind of internal power (ki developement) are we talking about? is it very much more powerful and different from "traditional" ibuki and ki no taiso? i am a late commer to this discussion of "internal power... i don't think it is absent in some aikido, and i think done properly this power manifests over time with sincere practice of the waza... so what are you doing that is new or different?
I dunno Edwin
I'll write back in a few years after I've met more Aikido teachers. I haven't felt much so far. Sure seems a lot of their students aren't even headed in the right direction. Maybe they just haven't been listening to their teachers.
Here's an Aiki masters take on Waza as as a means to get you there.

Sagawa
"Training must be done EVERYDAY for the rest of your life. That is the meaning of "Shugyo." No matter how much muscle you think you aren't using (you're only misleading yourself.) The true execution of Aiki requires an enormous amount of solo training to condition the body (Tanren). It is not easy to attain.
You won't be able to manifest Aiki unless you continue tanren of the body everyday for decades. You must train the body, ponder and have the techniques "seep out" from the body itself. Even if you train everyday all the while changing yourself, it will take at least 20 years. Ten years or so isn't nearly enough time.
Your body has to truly be ready; otherwise no matter what you do you won't be able to do "Aiki."

Last edited by DH : 03-27-2007 at 06:36 AM.