View Single Post
Old 06-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #292
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Strength vs Ki.

Quote:
Simon Kirk Sørensen wrote: View Post
I back you on that. Even though i don't do Aikido any more, I begin to see that everything O'sensei said, he meant. He did not say things unnecessarily they all had meaning and truth to it. But it must be understood from a spiritual point of view, or much of it seems like a complete ramble.
I am having fun going back and forth with Graham and I love the guy for the way he handles his controversies in the forum. Also, I understand where he is coming from on the spiritual stuff - if that is that way he and others like to look at Aikido, that is great since Aikido does have a lot of spiritual stuff in it based on Ueshiba's teachings.

However, Aikido can also be a very effective martial system on a non spiritual level as well; which Ueshiba demonstrated very well in his early years. People in the pursuit of that skill have every right to call that 'Aikido' as do the spiritual people do to call their pursuit 'Aikido'. And both groups are correct since Ueshiba represented both.

Oh, and just to keep things on topic, let me just say that there is no 'strength vs ki' - ki produces strength

Greg