View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
Nafis Zahir

Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States
Re: The purpose of Aikido?

I understand what the person who started this thread is saying and I see it almost everywhere I go. Aikido is laughed at and thought to be no more than something that is a hobby. Most people I come across do not train as if they are preparing to have to defend themselves one day. Seemingly gone are the days of serious attacks, atemi, agressive training and finishing pins. It has gotten so bad, that I have seen people doing Aikido without really taking the uke's balance and these are people who are above the shodan level. I'm not saying that they have to hit the mark everytime, but for the most part, they are not even trying.

I myself, study aikido for self defense. Thanks to modern technology, I am able to go online an view many videos of various styles, methods and instructors from all over. I am also able to view older videos of aikido to see exactly what is missing in how aikido is practiced today. Aikido is suppose to be a budo and that is something that should not be taken lightly.

Thankfully for me, I have an Instructor who has helped me take my aikido to a much higher level than it was before and helped me to put together many components which help to make my aikido closer to being a budo. I still have a ways to go, but a strong foundation is a good start.