Thread: torifune and IS
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #28
chillzATL
United_States
Re: torifune and IS

Quote:
Lee Salzman wrote: View Post
Keep in mind I said "maybe", I'm not trying to lay out absolutes. But there are big and little things that could be at odds, or focused differently. In some cases there are easy to spot commonalities, in others it requires considerable leaps of imagination to connect dots if they even there to be connected due to vast gulfs in how material is presented and trained. But some issues I could think of that I might expect all of them to answer differently:

Are internal and external different and separate, or is the distinction of of little worth and everything can be broken down to discernible athletic qualities? The mind is the end-state, or is it only a training tool and a crutch that must be erased lest it become a liability? The arms, just along for the ride, or going around an axis, or on the axis, or all of the above depending on taste? Organize pathways statically, or according to movement goals? Is it a dantien or is it a spine? Do you try to go in all directions at once, or do you merely have the ability to go in any direction at any time for any reason? Is awareness continuous or is it reactive? Do you wind or spiral for the sake of winding, or are they only valuable as a component of bringing the body into line and a structural fault if taken too far? Breathing - supplement, complement, or just a tiny extra? Tension - necessary to understand spectrum of relaxation and force or just heresy? Explosiveness - funny spiral movement, mental projection, or inherent quality of all movement? Movement - starting point or the end point? Stillness - everything or overrated?

Probably a lot more issues they'd take different sides on, at least based on my understanding. I don't think they'd approach torifune or things like it the same way or for the same reasons...
I think most of the differences you talk about are about approach and not about the core skills. I agree that trying to think about these things in that way can be confusing, but if you try to break everything down to how it relates to the core skills it makes things so much easier to digest. In the end, regardless of the approach used, if you're working on improving the same core skills you can take what you're doing in any direction, any approach, with minimal time spent retooling. The hardest part of that retooling is likely on the ego and not so much of a physical deficiency.

Obviously I didn't drill down into the things you listed, but if you want to discuss those things in more depth, start a new thread and lets give it a go.