View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 04:47 AM   #6
Ernesto Lemke
Dojo: Seikokan , Leeuwarden
Netherlands
Re: Putting IS/Aiki back into Aikido?

I have been working on IT for only about 4 years now, the last one of which according to what Dan Harden presents, so, I don't know much about it either.

To offer an answer to your questions Lee:

1) I both have my own dojo and also am in luck that my overseas teacher also trains with Dan. So in my/our case, everyone is on the same page. Lucky us

2) I was working on IP/Aiki yesterday with a friend from a different dojo. He is the only one in his dojo who went to Dan's seminars and he is facing things similar to what you described, and then some other stuff too. All of which is actually non-productive to making any progress in IT.

I really don't know if it actually is possible to get this work done efficiently in your average type dojo. Notice I said efficiently, not that it's impossible. The thing is that in order to work on IS elements with a partner, you do need a certain type of feedback (both physical and verbal) so as to not screw the thing up. Things I've found helpfull are similar as how you could approach "regular" kata training:
- Work one thing at a time.
Basics first and foremost of course. Think spine, 6 directions etc. how is that holding up during "regular" practice? I was telling my friend that I could maybe split up the first basic excercise into 30 different seperate pointers, all asking for attention at the same time. Evidently one can't do that all at once (I sure can't) so I address them seperately, then check all of them again and again and again, till they get burned in.
- Allow for failure in order to progress
Especially when one has a certain amount of development/experience in "regular" aikido, you become more or less proficient technique wise. So, since IT is aksing for a radical (with some people more so then others) counter-intuitive approach to training, one must let go of old ways of moving. So, if that means "loosing" during waza/kata practice, so be it. The ego wants to "show and proof", at least mine does. I really have to make a conscious decision to not go there and explore whatever it is I AM working on, accepting that in the meantime you feel and are acting like a beginner: stumbling, aware that you suck big time, not wanting to be there but are there nevertheless etc.
- Speak up/ask
Ask your partner to go easy on ya if that's what's needed. Also ask for feedback on the specific things you're working on. That doesn't have to lead into a debate or discussion. Just things like not using "normal" muscle strength, keeping shoulders low, spine straight, that's all see-able for a partner. The more detailed stuff isn't as much see-able as it is feelable so I would look for someone in the dojo with perhaps some experience and whom you'd feel comfortable asking.

Again, these "pointers" are applicable in "regular" practice. I trust that my fellow IP/Aiki afficionados will see how these also apply to IT.
Well, for whatever it's worth. Good luck everyone.

Ernesto