View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #18
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: Don't be the bad guy

Quote:
Mary Eastland wrote: View Post
That is the difference between being loving or not. Some people can do the wiping and come from a place of love.(Myself not included) Would not that be the highest form of training?

This view can be a bit shallow and self righteous if we think we always know what it best. Being in the moment and fully tuned in to what is happening affords no judgement.

Getting involved in the conflicts of others can be very dangerous and maybe not the least bit appreciated by any of the parties.
I do agree with most of this. Wipe a new born babies bottom, no problem feeling the love. Adult man overdoses again and is trying to throw feces at me for helping him survive - well, it is my job to help but I'll draw the line and probably restrain him. Cause it is dangerous.

Do I always know what is right? No. Sometimes all I have is my job description and my duty.

Being fully in the moment and fully tuned in to what is happening affords no judgement - I guess from a health care professional/former corrections background, being fully alert still allows/demands assessment, evaluation, objectives/goals. The best possible outcome for everyone involved doesn't always just happen and sometimes guidance/intervention is required. My wife would agree with you when she teaches randori; I still start students off with "Where is the door? Where is the second attacker?" If there is no room for judgement, then the success or failure of an intervention cannot be evaluated and a mistaken assessment is not open for debate. The only feedback or situational debrief possible is "be more attuned with the moment." I like to give more concrete help even though this is always good advice, and I think analysis is still part of being attuned.

Again, if I didn't care, easy to do.