View Single Post
Old 12-08-2004, 07:00 PM   #26
Bill Danosky

Dojo: BN Yoshinkan
United_States
Re: Aikido Buddhists?

It's interesting, attempting to define a "religion". Buddhism is the one that answers the most questions for me, but it's highly conceptual compared to the other ones- With no God to be worshipped, I think many of it's concepts are not easily grasped by non-meditators.

I'm wondering how modern science explains some of the spooky concepts of physics and philosophy our fore fathers (okay, I'm talking about mainly O-Sensei here) believed in? Many of the sciences seem on the virge of proving "something" is at work.

Deepak Chopra, MD is described as being "Ayurvedic" in his beliefs, which is in India, kinda like Shinto is in Japan. An ancient religion, grasping the same concepts. But without the scientific terms to define them, resorting to creating icons, like the-spirit-of-this-and-that.

Anyway, He claims outright that since Quantum physicists now believe that subatomic particles are merely waves of information and energy, we could find out someday soon that all matter is non-material. Maybe all that's left after that would define religion.

Whatever we find out, someday (in this life or after) the truth really is, it'll probably seem most familiar to the people who meditate.