View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007, 05:28 AM   #22
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: Realistic Training Part One: The OODA Loop

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
OODA is less a teaching methodology than it is an classificaiton of strategic management process. Its purpose is to ensure that all relevant inputs to effective action have been mustered before committing. That is one criticism of the "fit" of OODA as a teaching paradigm.
Quite true.
Quote:
Secondarily, Boyd meant it to be applied by increasing tempo "inside" the enemy's own OODA cycle timing, to create confusion and tactical advantage. This increase in tempo is a direct result of training to refine the process. This is clearly an aspect of judo training where certain engagements are practiced like joseki in Go to achieve instant recognition and preemptive reaction to the commonly seen "set-up" patterns. But O Sensei said plainly that timing is not really what aikido is about, and relative sente is not supposed to affect aikido in the way that other arts are affected by it. That is my other criticism.
Maybe it's because Tomiki approached Aikido based on principles found in all Japanese Budo, especially Jujutsu/Judo and Kenjutsu/Kendo (as compared to what Ueshiba M. says about timing, though I doubt that the two men are in disagreement here), but increasing tempo inside the attacker's own OODA cycle seems to fit quite well with our Aikido, especially when dealing with a skilled attacker.

Through practice at the Randori geiko level (number 4 in my first post) it is quickly realized that in the event that ones initial waza fails, unless one is able to create kaeshiwaza that ones partner (who is also trained in Aikido) cannot detect, then the OODA loops of both persons keeps resetting as neither person is able to short circuit the other to complete their kaeshi waza. This perpetual loop is only stopped when one is able to move in such a way that his partner is either misled (lead) into his counter without detecting the setup or moving faster (quicker tempo) within his partner's loop so that he cannot react quickly enough to short circuit the technique and restart the loop. Here is where things like leading, relaxation, connection, sensitivity, timing, fluidity of motion, correct power generation etc. become critical elements since dealing with a skilled attacker/partner means dealing with someone who has an increased sensitivity to potential attempts to short circuit their waza/OODA loop and are quite capable of doing so themselves (Nishio's quote about effectiveness against other MA comes to mind ).
Quote:
Decision is the least apt. Aikido is not really deciding to do anything, or perhaps rather, one has already commited to decide one thing -- always enter/turn into a connection. One does that at any point in the attack that the connection is formed -- early timing, even timing, late timing. One goes where things wish to go of themselves, but in this Orientation and Observation are critical, and in that order, in my view. In fact most of the time if I "Decide" to do a technique or certain body movement, then the dynamic often escapes me because it just may not be there.
Imho the above does not mesh with the concept/principle of Mushin Mugamae (No Mind, No Posture), which again admittedly is something drilled in our Shodokan training so I defer if this is not a common thing in other schools. There should be no commitment in mind or body until one discerns the correct way to move to deal with the attacker. In the sense of a strike for example, if I Observe and Orient myself to deal with the attack (Metsuke, Ma Ai, Kamae) but do not decide to do anything, then I will get hit as the attacker recalibrates to deal with my orientation (shutdown of my own OODA loop). The act of tai sabaki or moving the body off line to deal with an attack is a decision to move in a particular direction that best suits the principles of effective Aiki waza to resolve the conflict. Granted it is often an unconscious decision during free practice and application, but it is a decision nevertheless imho. In Aikido I will admit however that all of what I indicated above (the entire OODA loop) literally happens within an instant (takemusu Aiki?) so separation of the different elements can be tricky.

Taken from another perspective, think of how during a real life attack the adrenaline dump alone can short circuit an OODA loop, causing one to Freeze on the spot, Fight without truly discerning the nature of the threat and most effective response to the situation or take Flight, running away where escape may not even be an option.

William your thread has me looking at my waza and practice through an even finer microscope now. Good comments all.

Quote:
I think the OODA loop should apply to tempo slow at first to understand the varibles and then progess to full speed. That paradigm can be hard to execute if the class is not used to it...and the responsibilty for tempo lies upon the Sensei to push the pace without sacrificing Aiki principles in the process...
Totally agreed.

Gambatte.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca