View Single Post
Old 03-31-2004, 08:31 PM   #7
David Yap
Malaysia
Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
This comes to roost with my students every so often. They start training and immediately run off and buy "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere". They are then confused because the way we train is fundamentally different from that behind the writing of AATDS.
Hi all,

I bought my copy of the AATDS in the mid-70's, except for the philosophical part of the book, none of the techniques really make any sense to me. It wasn't until early 90's when I retrieved this book from my library after starting Aikido; then I began to understand the techniques. I also have some problems with the terms in the book - the irimi-nage we learned in the dojo is termed kyu ho-nage in book and vice versa. But, specifically mentioned by authors is that Aikido can only be learned in a dojo environment (or something to that effect).

Does watching video speed up your learning process? My take is that it depends on the individual. It can either speed up or retard your learning process. Watching a video is no different to watching your instructor in the dojo. The key question is "You watched but what did you see". Some students have limited understanding of the art, by watching video they get confused further as techniques taught in the dojo might be different due to various factors (such as knowledge of the instructor, physical built of the instructor/the uke, the teaching methodology adopted by the instructor/dojo/association, etc.).

Of course, instructors can preempt this confusion with explanations to the students on the mechanic/elements of the various techniques. The students will then look out for these elements while watching the video and SEE for themselves the fundamentals and principles of aikido in action.

This is my two sen worth.

Regards

David

PS. I know of a shodan instructor who has 100s of video and books in his collection but I have yet to see or feel the essence of aikiDO in his techniques.

Last edited by David Yap : 03-31-2004 at 08:40 PM.