View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #38
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Madman With A Gun

Keith Larman wrote:

Quote:
If you're an air marshal the madman with a gun takes on a specific, real context because the "domain of possibilities" tends to collapse into specific issues. It will also collapse to a different set of issues if you're a school teacher and need to worry about a school environment. And so on. So within specific contexts it starts to make sense. But then we've gotten away from the notion of the "random, unpredictable" madman with a gun in general. The very thing that makes that person so very dangerous is the unpredictability. So we close the circle and get back to being aware, etc.
This is my thoughts on this as well. I am highly trained in the context of the military. Right now, I carry an M4 all decked out with 4 different site systems as well as a M9, I have access to Close Air Support etc.

I also have parameters I work within in doing my duties. Many of them are unknown to a degree, but as a soldier, in a combat zone, I am also under a different set of conditions and have clues, intel etc in order to react.

And yes, I even have to prepare to deal with being ambushed or surprised by say two bad guys that get the jump on me.

Well in that context, I just might die.

If I live, well I fall back on my training which I have spent the better part of a long time and recently the last two months on honing my reflexive skills in combative techniques. I spend hours in the hot sun shooting my weapons in many different ways under many different conditions. I practice fighting through the fire fight, transitioning to my systems, jammed weapons drills, empty handed combatives etc.

So, I think this is how you adequately prepare to deal with this situation. You train for it as if your life depended on it if you honestly believe it is important to you to do so.

Otherwise, you simply spend the time enjoying what life you do have with your family and friends and hope that you made the right decisions in your life and have led a good life.