View Single Post
Old 10-08-2005, 04:54 AM   #159
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Re: atemi is 90% of Aikido

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote:
I'm not sure what the discussion is about, Peter. You're supporting my comment directly by saying "Those clips are part of a kata series developed by Kenji Tomiki" (they're part of randorii techniques and mainstream Aikido does not have randorii) and yet you're questioning why I haven't seen them commonly in mainstream Aikido.
A fundamental misunderstanding on your part. Those are techniques allowed in randori not specifically developed for randori. All of the techniques are from what Ueshiba M. taught Tomiki K. and at least his other early students. A kata series is just the stringing together of a set of techniques with a comon theme - in this case kihon forms of legal techniques in shiai.
Quote:
The discussion is about atemi, not the particular "techniques" like "classic iriminage". Jun's comment, to which I was responding, was that in the use of those kata/atemi they did not feel percussive; i.e., as atemi they did not feel like body strikes. My response was that it's hard to say if the "atemi" used in those practice drills actually represent the full atemi, as originally intended, so it's difficult to say much definitively. I don't get the point.
Jun was pointing out that the atemi term is far broader than percussive strikes. Iriminage is an atemi waza. There is plenty of percussive atemi in Shodokan/Tomiki aikido also but again atemi (70 or 90%) is not limited just to percussive atemi. This is true no matter what style of Aikido you perform. Understanding that is key to understanding the percentage value in my and others opinion.
Quote:
I don't think it's contradictory and neither will anyone else who has a fairly comprehensive grasp of atemi. I can touch someone in a non-percussive way, as shown in some of those clips, and *then* release enough power to send them through the air or damage their body.... so being "non-percussive" isn't definitive in all senses of the word "atemi".
I never said (nor did anyone else) that "non percussive" is definitive in all senses of the word "atemi". Contradictory is the statement that you generate power before you generate power - you either do you do not. No problem with your above statement - that is not what you said previously. I do think that my understanding of atemi is quite comprehensive thank you - albeit in the context of Japanese martial arts.

As an aside - the man who was with Ueshiba M. during the bulk of his stays in China was Kenji Tomiki.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido