View Single Post
Old 04-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #12
rugwithlegs
Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai
United_States
Re: "Sly's combative concepts"

First guideline of practice in Aikido from O Sensei was that Aikido is a lethal art. I will play for some of these insights - we do standing pins with one or both hands free and why? Not style points. If we are to call ourselves martial, then these extra layers of frosting on basic technique should not be a surprise. It's not all there is to practice for me.

I agree with John.

Entering a practice like Tanto dori, one teacher showed lower ranks to break the elbow immediately, let the knife fall, and run away. Higher ranks, more control until the knife was taken without even throwing or any injury inflicted if possible - but kime and atemi were practiced for much longer. His philosophy, but also legally defensible. Stay safe, then just do what is necessary.

Another teacher didn't like kime or atemi, but wanted all Tanto dori to finish by slashing the brachial artery of someone disarmed and helpless pinned face down. Mutilating, possibly maiming, possibly killing someone helpless and defenseless at that second in time. I never bent my brain around it, and my main teacher would not have supported it.

The work looks inspired by ninjutsu, at least in demos that I have seen. It's not material I haven't seen before. If he wasn't talking, the video would be half the length. The insights in his demo are valid IMO, but not how I would fight or train usually.