View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 AM   #15
Allen Beebe
United_States
Re: Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation 14

Hi Peter,

Thank you again for another wonderfully substantive column. I've not made it through the whole thing yet and don't know that I'll have much to say when I do.

However, here I'd like to say that I enjoy your this column for the very reason that it is very much like "Cliff Notes" in the sense that "Cliff Notes" (If I remember correctly) as accurately as possible condense large amounts of information into a smaller, more easily digestible, amount while struggling to maintain the integrity of the original. Also, if I remember correctly, they site sources and encourage their readers to do their own thinking and further research. So, and I hope you agree, rather than being all-comprehensive and definitive I look at your work as kind of saying by example, "Look at the conclusions I draw, or cannot draw, based on X amount of knowledge and research. I challenge you to do the same. I challenge you to equal or better my research and draw different conclusions, or in some cases draw ANY conclusion that you can back up with research as I have done." And I would think you might be saying this, by example, not in a "Oh look at me a high and mighty Professor while I flex my academic muscles. I bet your dictionary isn't as big as mine!" Rather, you respect your readership's ability so much that you don't insult them by telling them what to think while not providing any substantive reason to think that way.

I have to admit, whenever you draw parallels to Western thinkers, philosophers, etc. it always throws me for a loop as, while I think you may be making a common referent, they aren't common to me. So, I find another opportunity to broaden my perspectives and sharpen my intellect.

I guess what I'm getting at is, while there is much that you share that I am familiar with, and as a consequence enjoy reading your perspectives and the inferences and conclusions that you draw, I even more appreciate the opportunities that you provide me to say, "I don't know." Because, when I get to say "I don't know" I have the opportunity to learn . . . and that almost always turns me on . . . although my ego may not always "enjoy" it at the time!

Well, the time typing here means less time reading your column so I'll quit. In fact, I have to leave to go climb a ladder and paint.

I'm a public school teacher which means you'll find me doing what I can to "make the ends meet" during the summers! But in this cool age of technology I can listen to book after book while doing so!!

Allen

~ Allen Beebe