View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #6
RebeccaM
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States
Re: Too many expectations?

In my case the benefits kinda snuck in in such a subtle manner I didn't even realize what had happened until I read some things I'd written years ago.

Studying aikido is like any other worthwhile endeavour. What you get out of it is directly proportional to what you put in. You've set some lofty goals, but none are unrealistic. However, you will not meet any of those goals overnight. You may not even meet them by this time next year. Just keep at it and remember to have fun. If it were easy everyone would be doing it.

People start aikido for a variety of reasons, but they stay for the same reason: they love it. You have to love it. Your goals can be acheived through other means. Also keep in mind what Bronson said. It may be better for you to write out this list of goals you have going and hide it away. THen come back to it in a few years and see how you're doing. I have this quote on my wall: "The thing we tell of can never be found by seeking, yet only seekers find it." You want to be a better person, and if you stick with it you will be, if only because sweating and bleeding and crying always makes you a better person, but that's more a side effect than anything else.

Last edited by RebeccaM : 06-02-2005 at 11:17 PM.