View Single Post
Old 07-25-2006, 01:57 PM   #26
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Doubts about instructor's abilities

Quote:
About the 5th dan thing, who or where else can he get a high rank for it is his style/interpretation? At least it wasn't 10th dan, give him some credit for that. I already have a name for my style, name for my dojo, name for teaching acronyms and so forth if I ever open one. What are guys like me supposed to do if we ever completely deviate from the style that we originally learnt?
Yeah, I give him some credit for making himself only 5th dan instead of 10th-but how long before that happens? Bogus rank is still bogus rank. I'm sorry, and I'm sure there are exceptions, but a 1st dan is not a 5th dan skill or knowledge wise in most cases. In fact, I would think that the gap is huge. Someone, if legitimately promoted, at the 5th dan level is starting to move into the master level of quality/knowledge. Promoting yourself also is not the same as "earning" rank through testing or even being awarded rank by a committee or master instructor at a much higher level. I know some organizations don't test at all levels but the aikikai tests through 4th dan and recommends at 5th and above. If you break free, I don't know where you get your rank! They can get one of the soke dokey organizations with non-aikido people to promote them. It may be worth something to them but the legitimate aikido people just shake their head and laugh.

That's off topic by the way. I refer you to the fraud discussion I started some time ago. We banged away at this issue in depth.