View Single Post
Old 01-26-2015, 03:56 PM   #20
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Victoria Family Aikido
Canada
Re: YouTube: Yoshinobu Takeda, 2004

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
Not wanting to speak for Jon but... we both had Kawahara Yukio as shihan in our backgrounds.

I suspect that Takeda sensei did a LOT of work to get where he is.

It's really hard to say just how much of the uke grunting and groaning with big ukemi is "real" here, and how much is being overly compliant, but I wish Kawahara was still alive - he didn't like uke dancing for him, and the very rare instances I was thrown by him I assure you I wasn't cooperating, apart from trying to punch his lights out (at his request) - man did I hit the ground hard. Harder than when I was getting NAILED by judo people such as Doug Rogers (1964 Olympic Silver Medal, godan) or some of the folks who knocked me around in Tokyo. Unfortunately Kawahara didn't like people taking video of his teaching.

To me, it looks like Takeda sensei's demonstration is depending a bit too much on uke doing what was expected of them rather than actually trying to give nage a good solid strike... I could be wrong, but...
I've trained with both (and got my black belt from Kawahara Sensei). Apples and oranges. Can't be compared.

The question that pops into my head is always: "Would this style of aikido work with a non-compliant uke?"

Kawahara: DEFINITELY (as in scaaaary).
Takeda: No, and I don't think he would do remotely the same stuff if attacked in real life (at least I hope not).

I guess it depends if the answer to that question matters to you or not. For a lot of the Kenkyukai folks I really think that they believe it is the wrong question to be asking. It's a different set of goals and values, where the question of "martial effectiveness" doesn't really come up a lot.

To each their own. I know I had a lot of fun at the seminar I attended with Takeda Sensei, but I wouldn't choose it as my every day practice. I chalk it up to the luxury of living in a mostly peaceful society.