View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #236
Aristeia
New Zealand
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Anthony Stebbins wrote: View Post
. I think they fail to understand that training in a Dojo, and appliyng techiniques to the real deal, are two different things.
I think this has hit the nail. Do I think Aikido can work? Absolutely! The problems people have with it are due to training method. i.e. there is a significant gap between the dojo application and the street application. Whereas other "live" arts still have a gap, but it is much smaller. What that gap means is, you will still get people who make Aikido effective, but alot is left down to the individual to be able to bridge that gap. I think that's why you tend to hear more "it's the person not the art" statements from co-operative arts like Aikido than you do from live arts like bjj. Because in a co-operative art it is absolutely true - take 20 blackbelts and you will get huge variation in what they can do in a given live situation. Whereas in a live art,10 bluebelts in BJJ you will have a much clearer idea what their capabilities are likely to be imo.

I don't think that is necessarily a good reason for "hating" aikido but I think it is a part of the phenomenum.

"When your only tool is a hammer every problem starts to look like a nail"