View Single Post
Old 07-30-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Why the extended fingers in Aikido postures

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
The idea of the fingers/hand directing the Ki is an old one which was originally important in the scheme of things, but the point is that this facet of Ki is a secondary by-product of the so-called Internal Strength skills being discussed in various forums here and in other places on the internet. Sun Lutang, the famous Xingyi and Bagua expert, changed the way the upper hand is held in San Ti so that the palm is more or less pointing forward; the palm had previously been down with the fingers pointing forward so that the qi would go in a forward direction. The Old Guard protested the change, but Sun simply indicated that they didn't actually understand the fingers-forward relationship to qi. I could explain the situation, but once again it is a topic that to do justice would take several pages.... let me just say that if someone is using good ki/qi skills the whole finger-pointing thing is sort of a non-issue. You'd probably be far better off to explore some of the physical aspects of ki (jin/kokyu).... they're productive studies.

FWIW

Mike Sigman
Ah Mike. That just started sounding interesting. Then you have to put down what I say. Shame.

Carry on with your historical explanation, I'm sure some might be interested. Including me.

Once again you have ki skills referenced to other arts so carry on and may all learn.

I however am talking ki skills learned in Aikido and you assume much.

As I pointed out 'when I see someone needing to be more precise in their directing Ki I revert them back to these drills. As far as more advanced not needing it, well that's true. Do I need those drills now? Can I direct Ki without having to use the finger as the tool? Yes. But that's irrelevent to the thread, it's not about me, it's about why extending the fingers in Aikido.

According to you Ki is a by product of the internal skills discussed and you quote some 'famous' people who said so. So that is your belief and your way.

That's not my view, in fact for me it's quite the opposite. Ki can be developed without those methods you are familiar with.

In other words that's not the only way.

Statements of someone good at ki skills then the whole finger pointing is a non issue is a strange thing to say as far as i'm concerned for it's the title of your thread.

It's hardly a non isuue for those who can for they would then understand how to do it from other areas ie;elbow, wrist etc.

Regards.G.