View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #21
DH
United_States
Re: Yonkyo is unbearable

I was just at a seminar with a about 45 aikido-ka. I took a group of them and did yet another experiment.
As I said you can pretty much teach them to stop a yonkyo ...on the spot. No one was able to put a yonkyo on anyone after about 5 minutes of proper instruction.This included a very large san dan doing Yonkyo on a small newbie and having it canceled out while the newbie stood there smiling canceling out both the pain the movement motivation of the lock.
Then we went on to very simple neutralizing of other aikido joint locks. They were stopping each other ...with aiki... with no large, perceptible, movement, and no counter techniques. all while looking rather stunned, laughing out loud and having fun.
So, as I was saying, yonkyo..is out the window for being able to cause anyone in Aikido any pain at all. Now you can add just about every other lock you know.
Watching a teacher teach students to cancel his own techniques is the other part of the teaching model I happen to love. It just seems intelligent and respectful and allows everyone to grow together and have less chance of injuries.
Dan

Last edited by DH : 07-11-2010 at 10:54 AM.