Thread: Ouch!
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2001, 04:13 AM   #2
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
It always seems that people seem to have runs of injuries in aikido - I don't know whether this is because the student has a period of less concentration or whether you are so worried about one injury, another occurs. Within 3 sessions someone at our club had his nipple ring twisted (tenchi-nage), damaged his shoulder (ju-jigarmae) and I think the other one was a leg injury.

You sound quite lucky in that you can still move your arms. You don't need your hands to ukemi, so get your finger strapped and get back to aikido. You may not be able to do some pins (e.g. kote-gaeshi), if it is very tender. However ikkyo, nikkyo (on one side), sankyo and many throws should be OK.

I once dislocated my collar bone and it made me realise how easily damage can incapacitate you in a fight and how useful it is to know alternative ways of striking or moving. Therefore I would use this as an opportunity to think - what would I do if someone had broken my finger? For me, since I could not turn the top half of my body, I started practising kicks on a punch bag (I couldn't even strike with my other arm).

Hope this helps,

Ian