View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #266
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Dear Tenyu,

I have read a few posts during an extremely busy time for my husband and myself, job wise and home wise, so decided to just read your OP and then later I plan to read thru the thread a little at a time and so comprehend more.

What struck my interest at first was the mention of the oil crisis. We know how important the Japanese baths are, I'm sure they still are, though this was 1974 that came to my mind, although my family is very concerned now with the cost of heating our own home, We have been greatly helped by fallen trees from "Mother Nature" although we miss the trees.

With the "oil shock" back then, the baths opened an hour later, which made it much harder for people who worked evenings and nights.

They might have closed earlier,also, if I remember correctly. You might want to study if there are any Japanese correlaries that would be useful here, although public ofuro don't seem to be practical in the West, hot tubs are mostly private!

Also the cost to the environment of electric vis a vis central heating, in different climate zones in the U.S I remember Tokyo, which didn't seem to be as cold as New England with the kotatsu heated table with blanket to warm the feet, and trying to curl up under it when it got cold. Hard for a tall person...

I hope someday you can have a reconciliation with your teacher, but in the meantime I noticed pictures of your uncle, which show he is a martial artist. I think posting his pictures shows a great love, and maybe thru him you can solve your problem in some way.

On the merit of your description of the kata alone, the suitability for all types of people is extremely valuable these days.( I will watch it when I have a chance, but we only have the slow dial up with its long stops and short starts. then sometimes a video will replay faster) We all need mental, physical and spiritual stability in these turbulent times.

Sorry to be writing a bit old fashioned, but I know this thread contains delicate issues and I'm trying to be cautious. I will continue to read in it.