Thread: Garage Dojo
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Rodger
Dojo: Seibukan
United_States
Re: Garage Dojo

Quote:
Please forgive me if this subject has been discussed in the past. After several attempts to start a dojo through community centers, churches, etc., I decided to start teaching aikido and jujutsu from my home. My understanding wife allowed me to turn our two car garage into a studio. We've been blessed with generous donations that allowed for paneling, spot lights, even some old wrestling mats.

I have eight dedicated students and I teach for donations due to the legal stuff and because I have no rent or associated costs other than equipment.

I have not advertised other than facebook because I want to be very choosy about who trains here. However, I would like to have a few more students. I'd like to know if any of you have similar experiences and how you got past the stigma (if any) of teaching from your home. I appreciate any advice or comments. Thanks.
I would look into adding additional insurance coverage such as general liability. Anyone who trips, walks into a wall or any none martial injury would fall under you home policy. But your insurance company finds out that you are offering instruction at your home they more than likely will not pay a claim. They may even cancel your policy.