View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 05:27 AM   #11
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: Life Question - Harming Another Human Being

Quote:
Michael McNamara wrote: View Post
I've had something on my mind lately that disturbs me and I wanted a forum on this subject. The question is: Why would anyone WANT to hurt or kill another person? I should explain......

Something happened yesterday that made me take pause. There was a new student in our Aikido class who mostly takes Krav Maga at the same dojo. While we were paired up, we practiced kotegaeshi, and when his turn came up, he did the move, but added a rather rough end pin where he lifted me back up with a painful arm bend, which was not how we were supposed to execute. That didn't bother me much, but while he had me he said "If you want to kill someone, then do this." which was a mock hit to the thorax.

This left an impression on me all day. Now, what has been on my mind is a deep reflection on two words. Though Webster's Dictionary might not concur, I've always understood a clear distinction between "WANT" and "NEED". To me, needing to kill or harm is something necessary to preserve one's life, the life of loved ones, or property in the face of an immediate threat that cannot be quelled by reason. In times of war, needing to kill the enemy is understood. On the other side, wanting to do harm or kill another person seems to me sinister, or at least lacking in any morality that respects human life.

So then I turn my mind towards MMA and UFC fighting. I know there are members here who take part in this, so what benefit does it serve humanity to make one's living or recreation by beating the crap out of another human being? I mean, dog fighting is illegal, so what's the difference, other than it not being to the death? You CHOOSE to be there; no one is forcing you to enter the ring. Over the past fifteen years, I've watched as the blood sport has gained popularity and followers, and I can't help but feel disturbed that this is going to be the norm, where showing how brutal one can be is a demarcation of one's self worth in society.

I knew this kid many years ago who got into cage fighting. We asked him why he risked his life like that and he said "The women they give you are fine!" Really? Is that what it takes to earn the physical affections of beautiful women? Great........so one is willing to throw their humanity away for a piece of ass? Stop the car, I'm getting out here!

I live in Los Angeles. I know it is rough, and there are times when defending myself is a need. I train in Aikido not WANTING to do harm, but do so to prepare for the nut job that may drift my way in the future. Whatever the situation, I train with the goal to do as little harm to another human being in order to subdue him.

If that really is the point, then the thirteenth commandment should be changed from "Thou shalt not kill" to "Thou shalt not WANT to kill", that way more people could obey it.

Any other thoughts or perspectives would be greatly appreciated.
My main question is quite simple: did this student understand the distinction between "need" and "want"?

His "want" may be the same as your "need". He may "want" to harm another due to subjective understanding that if he will not, the other will get back at him\his loved ones immediately. This is the same as your "need" but under the understanding, that "need" is also subjective and not objective, hence, if you want to save ... and are thus willing to harm another, you actually want to harm tat person.
Is it possible that his causing you pain, has colored your understanding of his actual intention?

The other option to answer would talk of Sadistic people, and other insanities

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
I would hope that your primary goal if a nut job drifts your way is to survive the encounter. Putting the nut job's well being above your own may sound noble but could get you hurt or worse.

In a recent thread there was a discussion about " Madman with a Gun". Would you have the same feelings of doing as little harm to the "Madman" in order to subdue him if he entered a restaurant and shot your wife and kids?

David
Are you not giving specific examples to situations in which you "need" to harm another?
If you are, where is the argument?
Michael did indicate harming another because of need is acceptable. He discussed a person wanting to harm another, not harming him because one believes this is the solution to prevent harm to self or loved ones.

Amir