Thread: Back online
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Re: Back online

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
I'll definitely want to get as much info from you as possible to help me get educated before I go under the knife.
Hey Chuck,

If you're going for joint replacement surgery find out who makes the replacement joint and how many times the surgeon has used it. I watched a total knee replacement and it was the first time the surgeon had used that particular company's knee. Let's just say the results were less than ideal.

Another good bit of info to have is the surgeon's/hospital's infection rate for similar surgeries.

Find out your surgeon's stance on post-op movement restrictions. In a hip (for example) the surgeon will often want you to limit movement in flexion (nothing >90*), internal rotation, and adduction (not past midline). I've known surgeons to take each patient on a case-by-case basis as to how long they were under these restrictions while other surgeons just want their hip replacement patients under these restrictions indefinitely.

If the hip is the problem you could see if Birmingham Hip Resurfacing is an option. I don't know much about it but I hear it doesn't require as stringent of a movement restriction. I've even heard that some surgeons place NO movement restrictions with this procedure.

If possible get with the physical therapist well before the surgery to start pre-op exercises. This will help with recovery time and post-op you'll be familiar with the program instead of having to learn it will goofed out on pain meds

Good luck,

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."