View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 02:22 AM   #10
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary
Re: rough start with Aikido lessons

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post
Your body will sort it out by itself in the long run -some types of instruction actually get in the way.
True...my mind gets in the way - (over thinking techniques)
Part of it is that a lot looked similar until I started watching some videos and aikido 3d. (shomenuchi ikkyo and nikkyo - im looking off my list, dont know it by head - is a good example. At first they look the same.)

I gave myself initially 1 month to see how things worked out.
I cant say I havent learned anything, and if anything the principles of Aikido I have had to practice (patience and relaxation)...so then I figured I would give myself 3 months full to see how all this sorts its way out. (Just awkward with the language situation...that was my biggest hurdle was joining...cant tell you how 'intimidating' it was for me the language issue. But I worked through it.)

Thanks for the comments...

Peace

Dalen

- oh, i forgot to answer your question. As for how people are chosen for practice.
It appears that there is a line from highest grade to lowest and that they rotate throughout...although I cannot be sure of this, as it seems sometimes the higher grades stay with each other?

I think I got spoiled with having a shodan for my first 6 lessons or so. (but again, I am impressed with the blue belts. We have 6th kyu, 4th kyu, 2nd kyu, and I think the 1kyu just got shodan, and we have 3 shodans (well 1 doesnt show up, the other one does, and the 3rd just 'graded')

The biggest issue for the teacher it seems is that most of the people dont come on a regular basis.
Which is rough, we only train twice a week...I feel I need 3 times minimum. We had a Sunday seminar with a 4thdan and the extra day in the schedule, plus the extra hour warm up on the mat was good...

I get to practice at home with the kids...a bit different with a 3, 5, 7, & 9 year old though. - albeit they are tough.

Peace

Last edited by dalen7 : 06-19-2007 at 02:29 AM.