View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 10:32 AM   #9
paw
Bruce,
Quote:
And what do I mean by indestructible? I mean when a man reaches the 250+ range, his body is covered in muscle or fat 1 to 3 inches thick and does not feel any strikes to his body except for his vital areas. Did you ever notice that our vital areas are the only parts of our body that don't expand when we gain fat or muscle (eyes, temple, throat, groin, knee, etc.)? Those are the areas you can't strike in a sport though, so all you are left with is speed -- you have to be fast enough to get a submission (large joint manipulation on elbow, knee, or ankle) before he closes a hold on you.
Red herring Bruce. Weight classes mean you're facing a worthy opponent --- that is to say someone who can generate more power because of their larger mass --- just like smaller fighters. It's all relative and has no correlation with size --- it's a function of training.

Also, temple and knee are valid targets for striking and the neck is open to manipulation (cranks and chokes) even in the rule extensive UFC. Some promotions, Brazil's Value Tudo for example, only limit eye gouging, biting and fish hooking....other than that, it's all good.
Quote:
I am not saying you will not see some very talented martial artists emerge, on the contrary they will HAVE to have talented in order to survive the giants. I am just saying that the trend will continue down the big fat path
Again, this supposes that the fighters are different weights, this is not the case. Weight classes are the rule in promotions. Apart from the occassional Pride match, "little guys" don't face "giants". When was the last time you watched MMA and what promotion was it?
Quote:
Good for BJJ as lots of people realized the value of ground-fighting in a one-man duel, but very boring to watch, and the majority of people I knew that watched them stopped.
Thanks for your opinion. This suggests you and your friends haven't watched MMA lately. "Bang" Ludwig, Vanderlei Silva, Matt Hughes, Robbie Lawler, Chuck Liddell and Pete Spratt immediately come to mind. These are athletes who are know for their standup ability and their ability to avoid the ground.
Quote:
The same thing will happen with MMA. People initially had interest in it because it was "the best of the best" squaring off, with the least amount of rules between them. Well next comes.....
This statement is flat out wrong. MMA was being actively prohibited from different areas by people with a financial interest in boxing. Rules were adopted to gain sanctioning and legal acceptance so that events could be held and eventually a fan base could be built to support a return to PPV.

Bruce, watch this Friday's UFC. You'll won't see 90% of what you are describing. And you'll see one of the most anticipated fights in a while.... Randy Couture v Tito Ortiz.

Regards,

Paul