Thread: Irimi Nage
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2014, 10:26 AM   #74
Asou

Dojo: Shaniz Dojo
Indonesia
Re: Irimi Nage

found some pics when typing iriminage in google image search (obviously not my pics)

the second pic, 4th step "kaiten" I don't know there's that step. Is it common? I think it's for forcing uke to take additional step as his head is "carried" from a body rotation of nage?

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Dear Konstantinus,
Generally speaking most instructors select their uke who have acted as uke for a long time.Tori gets to know how uke will respond and uke almost like a conditioned reflex will move around tori[in the rotational method of irimi nage ] almost like clockwork.Uke also usually being a junior hardly wants the senior to look bad or to make the irimi nage hard work for tori.
I have on many occasions often been in situations whereby uke sometimes falls down without
any reason.Uke should not simply bite the dust .Uke should endeavour to try and regain/maintain his /her posture throughout the movement.As it happens I am not too fond of the irimi /tenkan method of irimi nage.The irimi tenkan version looks good[tori leading /spinning the uke around followed by a high flyying ukemi from uke ] but I much prefer a simpler more direct irimi nage than usual demoed by certain instructors.Hence my earlier statement about compliant uke.`i have a lot of footage of the basic taisabaki used in irimi nage and the irimi nage itself, however I do noot know how to upload this material to this forum. Cheers , joe.
Dear Joe,
One of my senpai asked my sensei that also, because my senpai is very rigid and always put up quite a resistance when acting as uke. My sensei explained that aikido, is way of harmony, so during training, the uke should not give a level of resistance to a point of nage can't take uke's balance at all (also because this senpai knowing the concept of particular technique already, hence he know how to not his balance be taken). Uke and nage should be cooperative to train the flow of ki and mushin (mind of no mind). Well, regarding other techniques (shihonage, ikkyo, nikkyo, etc) you can get pretty much the same result even to a newbie. But regarding the ura iriminage/with faceplant, now that's hard to execute, and if we apply it to newbie, that's dangerous totally and maybe can make you look like a fool. So yeah, maybe our class is divided for those who believes in the choreography and those who don't. But personally, I think you have to know what aiki principles can be applied to what judging from this "ki" stuff (I myself can't feel it (yet)), and the movement of opponents. Not like, "I want to iriminage him no matter what!".

Because it's funny, you throw people elegantly left and right, all of them black belts, then suddenly, one white belt comes along in randori and you look like "???!!?" because uke doesn't take the correct step lol. I don't know, what about people in your dojo?

about the video, maybe you can try posting it on youtube if you don't mind? Then post the link here for us to see. Cheers!