Thread: rokyo/rokkyo
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2001, 06:46 AM   #4
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Hi,
I'm the one that first mentioned rokkyo.

I would agree with Jacob, in that rokkyo doesn't have to be unblending. One of the important aspects to it (as far as I do it), is blending with the strike (and extending it further)so you can raise the wrist and drop ukes shoulder without force. You then have a pin of similar form to ikkyo, which you can take diagonally back down the length of their arm (rather than putting pressure directly on their elbow, although the elbow is locked).

To me techniques in themselves are neither 'aiki' of 'non-aiki. Every aikido technique I know can be found in other martial arts (usually ju-jitsu, judo or tai-chi) [except yonkyo, though I may be wrong abou that one]. It is very much how you do them. Gozo shioda is said to have discussed a strike to someones sternum (in a real situation) as a realisation in aikido because he put his whole body behind it (Angry White Pygamas book - though I wouldn't believe everything that is written there).

It is a fallacy to consider that aiki does not go against the natural movements of the body. Although many 'stretch' ligaments, I would query whether these are natural (nikkyo induces pain to put someone down, as does yonkyo to some extent). Also there are techniques which can go against the joints e.g. rokkyo, sumi-otoshi (i.e. the one where you raise their right arm with your right hand and extend your left arm under their elbow), even an ikkyo pin goes against the joint. I think this is maybe why some people feel that Aikido is not effective - because they don't realise that with some of these techniques people are compliant because to do otherwise is not beneficial. The idea however is to blend to the extent that they feel it is them throwing themselves (ideally). That is my view anyway, and I'm sure it will change in the future.

Ian