View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
Joe McParland

Dojo: Sword Mountain Aikido & Zen
United_States
Re: A situation I was in...

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Why, though, do so many call it "aikido" when they just use sensitivity and common sense in a situation? Does it have to be "aikido" when I defuse a quarrel in a meeting at work -- as if I had no ability to do so before I trained aikido; as if no one who doesn't train aikido can do the same?
In the dojo, when the instructor says, "do ikkyo," you do ikkyo.

In the midst of a situation, so to speak, you do not do ikkyo. For that matter, you do not do aikido either.

Now, someone on the sidelines may say, "Wow! Did you see that? She did ikkyo to that dude! Now that's some aikido right there!" But you did not do ikkyo---you did not consciously select a technique called "ikkyo" and apply it; rather, in the moment, you operated spontaneously in line with your aikido training and whatever other experience you bring.

I think Matt explained it well:

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Ok so this probably won't be considered as Aikido by most...and certainly it didn't involve any recognizable techniques, but my responses were shaped in part by my Aikido training. In retrospect, it was simply a bad situation I shouldn't have let myself get in.