Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #31
JO
Dojo: Aikikai de l'Université Laval
Canada
Re: Ikkyo pin

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
This is penance for the past:

I inadvertently "disabled" a friend of mine with an Ikkyo pin while speaking with him through the pin making sure I wasn't hurting him. He is a very high ranking Karate teacher and I not only screwed up his arm, but I screwed up his seminar teaching at the same time.

A student of mine (one of the nicest most gentle guys I know) visiting another dojo inadvertently broke his partner's arm with his ikkyo pin. He was mortified and of course his partner was in a great deal of pain.

BTW, both of these instances were done with very little power or force. When done properly the pin requires almost no force. The "pin" was just done "correctly" to the point of injury.

Ikkyo can injure. Ikkyo can break.

Please be careful. Both sides are "hurt" in accidents!

Allen
Despite my other post, I know that ikkyo can injure. My wife once decided to see what would happen if she attacked a senior student full force on shomen uchi ikkyo. She was spun around in the air, landed hard on her feet and caused a micro fracture in a vertebra.

But I'm really curious. How does an arm break in ikkyo? What part breaks and where/how did the force act on the arm to break it? Seems like a usefull piece of knowledge to have in order to avoid accidents.

Jonathan Olson