View Single Post
Old 11-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #74
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: How to deal with aggressive, non-compliant attackers? And discussion on atemi.

No your not in lala land...but I think the problem is that the first few seconds you are processing/orienting on what is going on. The links to the Tony Blauer vids posted above talk a lot about the issues from Startle/Flinch (which is simply a theory BTW), and Hicks law.

The startle flinch thing is also an emotional/fear driven event as you are getting stabbed, so I think it primarily depends on many things.

For me, a punch to the nose is a very specific thing, much like Kote Gaeshi. It may or may not be appropriate...you may or may not be in a position to do it effectively.

Just like Kote Gaeshi...sure a punch or kick will work and is appropriate if that is the thing to do.

You can "what if it" all day long. What you really need to do to understand the dynamics is simply "suit up" and have some one give you some very non-compliant and realistic attacks and work through it over and over. Key word is realistic and not the crap you see in many SD videos.