View Single Post
Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #35
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States
Re: Even at Boot Camp...no one can reach inside you and make you feel. Your feelings

Quote:
Tom Verhoeven wrote: View Post
You control and manipulate your children? Really?

Human beings as a species tries to control and manipulate the environment, that is obvious. But the costs to our environment, to nature, to our planet and to human lifes are tremendous! Control and manipulation of the environment is just an illusion.

I do not try to control or manipulate others, does not make any difference whether they are children or grown-ups. I would not even consider trying to control my wolf or horse.

The Asian hornet has recently settled here in France - it is killing our honeybees. How do you think we control that? It cannot be done. The hornet is here to stay.

I consider it Aiki to try to live with the environment, with nature, with the animals, with human beings.

Tom.
Not to go backwards but...

First, of course we manipulate the environment. We wear clothing, we build structures, we farm, we consolidate into social groups, we follow laws. If you do not do these things, then you are not a member of society (and that is not necessarily bad). You may argue that you believe the consequences to these actions are grave and you try to minimize your impact on your surroundings, but you allow these controls in your life.

Second, to possess animals here in the US and not control them is considered poor care at best. Of course, the thought of allowing a wolf to do as she pleases in an urban or suburban environment... We inherent the responsibility of those under our care. We are responsible for the actions of our children, animals, employees. And again, of course you control and manipulate others in the course of your day. Down South, we have a secret driving technique - if you make eye contact with another driver, you may cut them off. Stupid thing is, it works. The other driver sees your intention and accommodates for your [illegal] move in order to avoid a collision. You can any color car you want, as long as its red, blue, or yellow. Would you like to pay in cash or credit? Well, why not turnups? You can have any size Starbucks coffee as long as it is small, medium or large. Or, for you New Yorkers, you can now have as much soda as you like, but no more than 16 oz. at a time.

As an earlier response indicated, I am inclined to contest that people are susceptible to manipulation and control. Some have more personal responsibility and independence than others, but we all are susceptible. The psychology behind basic conditioning camps was intended to alter parts of soldiers to make them prepared and able to war. There is a guy here in the US, Cass Sunstein, a former Obama administrative official, who has several published pieces on societal (and governmental) progressive change. My favorite is "Nudge, Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness". He is not the primary author for this one, but it will change the way you think "that you aren't controlled by anything".

Last edited by jonreading : 09-14-2012 at 11:05 AM.