View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
Dewey
United_States
Re: MMA as catalyst for change in Aikido?

Quote:
Michael Fooks wrote: View Post

Yes there have always been fads. The difference now is the internet. What did we all do when we first decided we wanted to do a martial art. Picked up the yellow pages, saw a flier down at the local library. Maybe picked up a few books.

What do people do now? They go straight to google. The vast majority of first timers will soon be walking in much better educated not just about Aikido, but about other arts and what other martial artists think about Aikido. They will not be getting this info from books like we did - which are pretty tightly controlled forms of information. But from message boards and discussion forums and youtube.

What does this mean for Aikido? I think it means we need to be very clear and honest about what Aikido is and is not for....

MTCW
Thank you! That's exactly the point I was trying to make. If the internet is all Aikido has going for (or against it)...then we're in trouble! I'm in my mid-30's. But I'm talking about an entire generation whose primary interaction with the larger world is via the internet.

Last edited by Dewey : 04-13-2007 at 04:57 PM.