View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
MM
United_States
Re: Who's missing out?

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
Ha, ha, maybe you are right. Maybe I am guilty of presenting it in an overexuberant way myself.

To me it's a clear concept and thus presenting things from that clarity all together leads to misinterpretation. However, on review if I were to start a new thread it would probably have to be about five new threads for that one concept.

Otherwise I could always use the word I instead.

Broken down the o/p subject is this 1) Promoting what you do only which means putting it there and sharing. 2) Examining the principles behind modern advertising and seeing how they are similar principles to pressure selling. 3) Seeing and understanding those principles finding out where we operate from the same principles, mostly unwittingly. 4) Becoming aware of just how often we do and just how unnecessary it actually is.

Now the point is it's not to do with selling or being a salesman literally so can you tell me an example of when you have operated from such principles 'like' a salesman? I'll give you an example:

I boast about something. At such time I am advertising in said arrogant manner. I am at that time showing the traits described in the o/p.

I say how my Aikido is the Real Aikido or the best Aikido or similar. I am now entering into the same realm of what a pressure salesman does for he too has it, but for him as a job, to prove his product is the best or the real deal. Thus I am acting like a salesman.

Imagine applying this to politics ha, ha. You could end up with a super salesman prime minister or president......ha, ha. Perish the thought.

Peace.G.
Originally, you stated, "It appears to me that a lot of what's being talked about Aikido or Aiki wise has degraded into advertising". I asked for you to give specific examples of exactly where you see "a lot".

Originally, you stated, "The message given by such advertising is that you are missing out, that you must have and if you don't then you are wrong or less than". I would like to know specific examples of where you've seen such advertising.

Originally, you stated, "Minds led this way and that way by the fear of missing out, shame really. As I see it it's just unnecessary fodder for the insecure." I would like to know specific examples of where this is happening, as you've stated it happens "a lot".

Ewen Ebsworth posted questions that were left unanswered. Conrad Gustafson brought up good points about modern advertising and training. But it seemed to me that both posts plus Janet's did not look favorably on the actual original post. IMO, everything after your first post has been damage control because you were called on your passive aggressive denigrating post.

Back to topic. You stated that people are degrading because they are talking about advertising or promoting aikido in an unhealthy manner. So, please give us the threads, posts, people where this is happening. If you can't, then please apologize to the aikido community for your denigrating them as insecure salespeople who are driven by fear.

As to modern advertising and aikido, I think Conrad Gustafson's post #9 was a great start but should be moved to a proper thread of its own.