Thread: Arrogance
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2000, 06:39 PM   #9
Mike Collins
United_States
While meaning no disrespect, I have seen my fair share of arrogance within the Aikido community as well, huh?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm probably as arrogant as most people as far as whether my Aikido works, and more so than many. Arrogance tends to exist when one has a vested interest in believing in something. And years of training tend to create a vested interest.

I find that my only opportunity to let go some of that arrogance is to talk to other folks, and admit to myself that I'm not too different from the ones who piss me off so much.

How many times have any of us forced a technique (after we got caught screwing it up, usually) on someone just so we wouldn't have to see that we got a long way to go.

I find myself saying to other folks (therefor I can be pretty sure it's good for me to hear) pretty regularly: Have a look on the wall. Do you see your picture there? No? Well then keep training, cause when we get it perfect, we better stop training (before we screw it up).

I've never spoken with Helio Gracie, but I wonder if he is as arrogant as the "up and comers"? And didn't Osensei have a bit of the superlative about his art? It is only arrogant if you can't do it.

It isn't the art, it's the artist.