View Single Post
Old 07-09-2014, 03:38 AM   #12
MRoh
Germany
Re: Biomechanics in Teaching Aikido

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
So thinking in a mechanical symbolism like he does may even hinder to get what is to be learned. The same is true at least for three other budō I'm a little familiar with: I think you won't be able to comprehend TSKSR, KSR or daitō ryū in such a mechanical way.
I think there are many things to be learned.
Some parts of O Senseis Aikido can be explained in terms of directions and movement, some parts not.
Im Iwama Ryu they often speak about "blending", and this is exactly what Ueshiba did in a perfect way. In the moment of contact an aiki-action happened.
Most "styles" of Aikido have just parts of the whole. Definitely daito ryu had strong Aiki, but from the view of Aikido it's the antecessor, many of Ueshias ideas took shape in later years and configured his way of implementing aiki.

My teacher, Asai Sensei, often talks about how it felt to take ukemi from O Sensei. He made a move and you began to run, you did't know why. There was no physical touch until you began to move.
But the blending and the timing of O Sensei was perfect, an in the moment of contact all vectors, angles and directions matched perfectly, although you by yourself never knew what he did because you sudedenly found yourself on the mat, other people who where whatching could tell you it was ikkyo ore another clear determinable technique.
To get an understanding how Aikido works, there is more than one level to master.
I don't think that it's poosible to begin with inner mechanics and ignore the technical basics.