View Single Post
Old 11-07-2005, 12:49 PM   #8
Young-In Park
Re: Aikido Skeptic about to take the plunge.

Dear Mr. Gibson,

[quote=Brian Gibson]
I've watched some ridicoulous videos of some of the "softer Aikido", that I would never consider in in the least. I don't need to research it to plainly see it is not a fighting art- no offence intended, but I stand by this 100%
[quote]

Since you are in LE, I'll assume you've been trained to use a handgun (correct me if I'm wrong). And you probably learned how to use a handgun at a firing range. I don't need to research it to plainly see it is not a fighting art - no offence intended, but I stand by this 100%.

After all, at a shooting range, people learn to shoot their gun at a stationary paper target that doesn't shoot back in a controlled environment (ie usually well lighted, weather is not a factor and on a flat surface).

It is my understanding the USMC trains their recruits to dry fire their weapons for a week before actually giving them ammunition.

So why don't you go to your chief or rangemaster and suggest your department do away with the completely unrealistic training given at a firing range?

Because people have to learn certain things in an extremely controlled enviornment. For example, people have to learn how to smoothly pull the trigger with their finger instead of jerking it back. Advancing on the target or ducking behind cover doesn't do you any good if you can't smoothly pull the trigger back.

About ten years ago, two highway patrolmen in the midwest (Ohio?) stopped two felons (bank robbery?) in a Suburban. A shootout ensued and they got away. Afterwards, the first patrolman said his holster system wasn't working. Perhaps he should have learned how to draw his gun correctly (ie slow & soft) instead of fast and incorrectly.

Granted, some "soft" aikido out there isn't very flattering to the art. But the practicioner should always ask themselves what they are learning and why are they learning it. Going fast and hammering the crap out of your partner doesn't make it right.

Once a person has learned the seemingly unrealistic practice of aikido, it is incumbent upon them to adapt, improvise and adjust to make it realistic and applicable for your purposes.

YoungIn Park