View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #71
Anjisan
Dojo: Aikido of Madison
United_States
Ai symbol Re: What is atemi really for?

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
when i grabbed Ikeda sensei, he threw the atemi inside me and knocked me off balance. atemi doesn't have to be external.
We just hosted Ikeda sensei and in September I'm going to see him again! Every time I experience him I am fascinated! It is certainly is an aspect of my training that I will to continue to explore. In addition, I certainly understand that until more of us are at a level where it can be understood and applied, grabs are the primary method of teaching this line of training. However, I have two primary concerns when it comes to this type of training whether it be classified as IS or not:

1) Early on in a confrontation the Flight or Flight response kicks in, at least for most of us mortals unless perhaps you regularly experience physical confrontations. The fine motor skills are the first to go when the adrenaline rushes in.....probably why most reality based systems, Krav Maga for example seem to have more gross motor moves. Atemi would certainly help to minimize the exposure, but begs the question of how applicable this type of response would be in a real confrontation?

2) As I mentioned earlier, hand and shoulder grabs seem to be the primary means of transmission of this type of knowledge. I understand why in a seminar format this is done. I am wondering if this type of response is employed against jab-reverse punch combinations, elbows, knee strikes etc perhaps by other teachers? Can one trust their butt to it when it counts in a violent confrontation or only after 50 years of doing it? If not, then atemi will often have to come into play to create openings to establish a connection and terminate the situation?