Thread: Scientific aiki
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Re: Scientific aiki

Agreed David, never professed that you had to be completely ignorant...there is a "mid point" or moderation that is necessary.

I simply submit that it is not necessary to know to the level that many here are trying to dissect down to in order to understand, implement, or to be successful.

I need to understand a certain amount of kinesthetics, posture, understanding of proprioception, sense of timing etc....

To get into the biochemstry or the molecular level of what is going on? to really care if it is fascia, muscle or bone? To debate this ad naseum over and over at that level of detail?

I am just saying that I don't believe it is necessary and in fact believe that it is probably detrimental actually to the actual learning process as it is taking the place of authentic wisdom, or practical application.

That is all I am really saying.

Yes, I agree, macroscopically, we need an understanding and somewhat unified way of discussing basic prinicples and concepts.

From what I have experienced between the "guys in the know"...actually there is, even though they might take a slightly different approach to things...there is suprisingly a great deal of commonality between them.

I do find it interesting that the guys that have experienced one or several of these guys...really don't have an issue with this....it seems to be the guys who have not gotten out and experienced this.

Our challenge is figuring out which guy's methods we can best relate too or that we are comfortable following the most.

You know it is sort of like marksmanship. Once I can shoot and understand one weapon and develop some base skills...it is pretty easy to pick up any weapon and do "okay" with it. There are some differences between an M4 and an AK-47...however, they are not so different or profound that it prevents me from using the rifle after a few minutes of orientation and adjustment.

A big part of this discussion is "keyboard warriorship" if you ask me.

Sorry, just calling it like I see it.