View Single Post
Old 06-08-2003, 07:05 AM   #8
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
does it matter?

Let's see, 2.5x per week for seven years equals a total of 910 training days. According to the USAF testing requirements for the Eastern Region, you would need a minimum (and remember, this is a minimum, and often it is quite a bit longer) of 1140 training days to be eligible to test for shodan (60 to 5th, 80 to 4th, 100 to 3rd, 200 to 2nd, 300 to 1st, and 400 to shodan), in addition you would need to have attended a number of major seminars. So, 910 training days is still not at shodan eligibility in some organizations.

Actually, I would be pretty turned off as a teacher if someone quit because I hadn't allowed them to test, and figure I was right in my assesment about not having them test. It would require an attitude adjustment.

Sorry to be harsh, but I found your post rather petty. Lots of us have not tested for shodan by seven years, OR received recognition from our teachers. Why are we training? Is it for the external validation of others, or for our benefit? Doesn't our benefit also benefit others (those around us, and in extension, wider society)?

That said, I understand this need for being validated very thoroughly, but found that my teachers lack of promoting me usually had a root cause in my behavior. Once I rectified that, things started to get substantially better in terms of how I approached my practice.

Dont fret it; enjoy the practice, and feel good when you get the odd comment about how strong your aikido is; and then work harder!

all the best (honestly),

Rachel