View Single Post
Old 02-14-2006, 05:29 PM   #573
W^2
United_States
Wink Well, 570+ posts later and we're still 'fighting the good fight'.

Hello Everyone,

I'm literally amazed at the size of this thread...sitting here beside myself really. For my contribution I would like to ask a few simple questions...

Q: What is a Martial Art without a person to employ it or a context within which it is employed?

A: Non-existent. Yet, conflict remains a constant in nature. When we objectify conflict, we are attempting to represent in a finite syllabus of external physical techniques, the myriad of parameters known or otherwise, that constitute the human condition. So, regardless of the abstract or applied models we employ as humans, conflict remains constant, and no Martial Art is conducive to expressing the full range of human potential regardless of context.

Q: If your mind can experience conflict without physical contact, is conflict purely physical?

A: No. Our perception of the world is based on our paradigms or worldview; you can only perceive what you believe is possible, otherwise you wouldn't have a frame of reference in which to put it into context, and the human brain cannot tell the difference between what the eyes see and what it remembers seeing -- seeing really IS believing.

So, what is the point of all of all of that? As it pertains to this discussion, who prevails in a conflict is entirely dependent upon the myriad of parameters of those involved, and their subjective perceptions of what transpired, not an externalized finite heuristic model of strategic interaction [physical or otherwise]. Even Miyamoto Musashi said that strategy had nothing to do with his victories -- he formulated Go Rin No Sho after reflecting back upon his life.

People interact with people, not abstract models of behavior.

Peace,

Ward