View Single Post
Old 02-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #6
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States
Re: need the 411 on Patrick Cassidy Sensei?

Hello Justin,

First thing, it's Andrew Haight.

Patrick is a very talented aikido instructor. If you come with an open mind, you should enjoy training with Patrick. I studied with Patrick for a few years (one year as uchi deshi) before he left the USA. The first 8 months of that time I trained alongside Andrew. He's a great guy and very capable, although I haven't seen him in a few years.

Patrick has very solid technique due to the Iwama background, but unlike many from that style he is very fluid. His timing and blending are excellent, as are his weapons skills. He likes to focus on spontaneity, and the unknown, and likes to push his students, lets just say, beyond their comfort zones. Some will accuse me of a bias because he was my sensei, but I maintain that he is among the three best aikidoka that I have ever personally trained with. Whether or not you agree with everything he says, the practice is very deep and spiritual for him. I can truly say that this man created the conditions which allowed me to totally reframe my beliefs leaving the victim mentality of my youth for a much more productive mindset.

Michael