View Single Post
Old 06-08-2002, 07:12 PM   #51
Miguel Cuevas
Dojo: Vineland Aikikia
Not wanting to stray off the topic much, but I just recently witnessed my first test ever, a 5th kyu test at that. There were four canidates and they did great by my estimation, and they all passed. Then again I am a rookie in this art . Some of the canidates were really excited to recieve their new belts, while others took it nonchalantly. It was a perfect example of what both Mr. Knoops and CA were both refering to, in which case I must say I agree with both. People do things for a near infinite number of reasons and I believe that trying to figure out a person's motivations for wearing a white belt all the time or for parading around in their higher ranking belts is pretty much an excercise in futility. Let people do their own thing without being too judgemental, that's what I say .

Personally, I love the sense of accomplishment that having a colored belt conveys, and when I finally test and if I pass and I get one, I'm going to do a tap dance kata of joy all up and down my dojo! That doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone, or that I'm letting my over inflated ego have its way with me, I'm just exceptionally proud of my accomplishment; nothing more, nothing less. I practice with all the dedication I can muster to reflect my pride in being an aikidoka, regardless of my rank. That pride would be diminished considerably if I believed I didn't deserve my rank.

On a side note, one of the students who took the 5th kyu test was blind, and to be honest about it, I kind of thought he was going to pass regardless of how he did. Fail the blind guy for poor technique? Not going to happen, I said. After he did his first technique (better than I have ever done it, I might add), I knew instantly that he deserved it. His uke for the test, by the way, was one of our dojo's sensei's, who is also blind. I wonder what their opinions are on the whole colored belt thing? Just a thought.

"The true way of the Martial Arts is to train so that these skills are useful at any time, and to teach these skills so that they will be useful in all things."
-Shinmen Musashi