Thread: extra training
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 03:44 PM   #28
Adman

United_States
Re: extra training

Quote:
Paul Kozlovskis wrote:
Training without a partner is essentially a dead practice. All you are doing is ingraining a set of motions which will have no bearing on reality the moment you have a partner to train with. Their posture, movement and 'energy' dictate your response, not vice-versa
Then what about aiki taiso or hitori-waza? These are all training without a partner.
Quote:
The point I was trying to make, admittedly not very well, is that while you can train the body to move from A to B to C as per the basic form of a technique, most likely what will happen when training with a partner is that you will try to make them do the same.
Why would it be "most likely?" I for one don't try to make my partner do anything.
Quote:
Because through repetition you have taught your body to move to these positions irrespective of the dynamic relationship between yourself and uke.
Or maybe one has taught their body to move to "these positions" without the burden or anxiety of training with a partner. Your statement certainly doesn't apply to me or many of the people I train with. You can learn to respect the dynamic relationship between yourself and uke when you get back in to the dojo to test your new understanding (or mis-understanding) of the movement.

You are definately the authority on wether or not this approach works best for you. However, you certainly can't disagree with how it works for somone else (well you can disagree, but it would essentially be useless).

thanks,
Adam