View Single Post
Old 05-16-2006, 05:43 PM   #10
nodmines
United_States
Re: "Tanker" uke

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
Hi Arnold,

If I were in such a situation at a different dojo than where I usually train where I was having true difficulties in practicing what was presented, I may call over the instructor and ask politely how I should go about handling such an uke.

Different dojo (or, heck, the same dojo on different days) may ask for different motivations for uke, perhaps for the sake of working on a different aspect/approach of/to aikido. So, when I go to a different dojo, I try to see what sort of approach they're taking to training and do my best to understand their context and to try to learn from their approach. What one dojo may judge to be "bad" may, in fact, be the modus operandi for another dojo, due to the fact that they're working on something different from what I am used to at my "home" dojo; what I consider "good ukemi" where I currently train may very well not be what they consider "good," after all.

I do understand that having someone holding on strongly may be frustrating, though. I've certainly had to work with such!

Just my thoughts.

-- Jun
Jun, thanks for your advice. It's funny but it is usually the newbies or the juniors who do it. From my experience, the sempais are more flexible in their ukemi. Maybe they are more aware of the fact that aikido techniques are dangerous when coupled with force, so they are more compliant in ukemi.