View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
Basia Halliop
Canada
Re: Ki and power and cooperation

Those sound like two different abilities, to me -- to be unthrowable vs to be able to throw anyone. Or is it that the two are closely related?

The second I can see clearly the benefit of, the first I must say a lot less so. If someone can't throw me, they can still hit me or choke me or stab me or injure me in so many other ways -- and really I'm far more concerned about those things than someone throwing me. Those things all seem (to me) much more likely and more dangerous besides.

And to be honest, I'm a bit confused at the parameters of what is meant by being 'unthrowable' - what situation or conditions are meant to be implied. I weigh about 130 lbs -- I can see making it much more difficult for someone to throw me, but if my friend who is about 220 lbs simply grabs me in a bear hug or whatever -- I guess I am skeptical that anything I do would be that relevant to the situation other than evading him and either running away or throwing or pinning him before he throws me (all of which, while they may be very difficult and and require a lot of skill and perhaps luck, are at least theoretically doable). I can use my weight in different ways, but ultimately I still weigh 130 lbs and that just isn't a lot for my larger friend there (nor for most of my medium sized friends).

OTOH, to be able to be thrown and to not get hurt in the process and to be able to quickly get up again is something I can see and understand and have felt many many times. To be thrown doesn't always need to mean a catastrophe, and it offers the potential for escape. So for me if someone does try to throw me and I pass the point of being able to evade it, it feels more doable and ultimately useful to me to try to learn to go with the throw and improve my chances of landing safely and popping back up.

Is there something I'm missing in the concept of 'being unthrowable"? Does it correlate with other skills that are more, for lack of a better word, 'useful'? Am I underestimating its usefulness? Or is it more a training idea, i.e., that one should learn so our partners can then learn to move people who are extremely difficult to move?

Last edited by Basia Halliop : 08-27-2012 at 01:54 PM.