View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 09:22 AM   #12
ajbarron
Dojo: Calgary Aikikai
Re: Is Aikido Really Canadian?

Is Aikido Really Canadian ?

Finally the truth begins to immerge. Deep Throat has come to the surface after 30 years and now, finally, the truth about Aikido. Aikido is really a Canadian Martial Art.

Let's look at the similarities between Aikido and Canuck culture to see if we can gain some insight to this once mocked theory.

1) Aikidoka and Canadians both use foreign terminology and spelling to hide and obscure their meanings from outsiders. For example Toque (knit hat), two four (24 pack of beer), eh (can be used when ever!), Giv'er ( let's get it on, here we go, faster etc.), and better Giv'er eh! With the eh used for emphasis . Humour not humor, neighbour not neighbor, pyjamas not pajamas. Aikido…….Canada, obscurity and cult like terminology………. it's all starting to fit together.

2) Weapons: Canadians do not have nuclear deterrents and therefore must make do with our natural resources. What do we have in Canada? We have trees……..we have lots of trees………….we have lots and lots and lots of trees. What can you get from trees ( you can see where I'm going can't you !!!?) You can get sticks. What do we use in Aikido to fight with. We use sticks. What do Canadian have a lot of sticks. Coincidence……………………I doubt it.

3) Clothing: Canadians are known for their parkas, toques and mukluks. Why might you ask. (good question by the way) Well I'll tell you; when it's -50 Centigrade (that's about-500 Fahrenheit) and your running around in white pyjamas, zori and black skirts you'd better wear something to keep you body parts from freezing and dropping off.

4) Bowing: The evidence mounts because what country bows more to other countries who think they are more powerful, who think they are bigger, who think they are smarter……………….Canada. And do you know why? Because when you bow we pull the sticks from under our parkas and give you a good enlightening Zen whack on the head.

5) Humour: Aikido is love, laughter, blending and non-violence. Think now, how is Canada conquering the world.

Love …..Laughter…..Blending…..Non-Violence……… some of the precepts of Aikiido

Jim Carrey, Wayne and Shuster (60's) Rich Little, Martin Short, Ed, Dan Ackroyd and half the comedy writers in Hollywood. Canucks every one. We are taking over the world eh! ( I won't go into singers ……Celine Dion, Paul Anka, Avil Lavigne, Brian Adams, etc,etc

And by the way here's the clincher:

6) What are two things that Aikidoka and Canada share???? Good beer and we've got the best.

So if any of you wish to come to the birth place of Aikido ( Canada) we welcome you to our 25th anniversary Summer Camp in the Canadian Rockies with Igarashi Shihan (Japan), Kubo Shihan (Hawaii) and Inaba Shihan (Calgary).

Visit our website at www.calgaryaikikai.com. For information

Cheers, have fun and keep on rolling ‘cause the alternative hurts eh!
Andrew